- Before installing the XFasten Butyl Tape, it would be best to chill it by storing in the fridge for 2-3 hours. This will make it more manageable. This step is optional, but a butyl tape that has been cooled down will be easier to manage and conform.
- Make sure that the surface where you would be installing the Butyl Tape is clean, dry and dust-free. Thoroughly dust the area, clean it with an alcohol solution (if applicable) and let it completely dry before applying the tape.
Peel the tape from the roll. The tape itself is easy to tear so you shouldn't have any problem. An important note to make, though: make sure to not touch the adhesive side too much as oils from your hands or any other foreign materials can contaminate the adhesive and lessen its bonding strength.
- Conform the tape with the surface’ texture to eliminate any gaps that may exist in between the tape and the surface. The tape is conformable so make sure that you mold and press it against the surface's bumps, curves, and empty areas, covering every possible hole.
- Roll many layers of the tape to make the butyl patch thicker. This set-up would significantly increase the strength, stability and air and watertight properties of the application. Eliminate any air bubbles which may exist by applying pressure on the area of application.
- You can trim any adhesive that oozes out using a plastic knife or any plastic card.
Wet your fingers with soapy water (just normal 50-50 mix of water and soap), and rub it on the tape's surface. This will smoothen the butyl rubber, reduce any bumps or lumps and give your installation a smooth and professional look!
- Allow the tape to cure, dry and acclimatize overnight before exposing the surface to any harsh conditions. If this isn't possible, then letting the tape set for at least 3-4 hours would be sufficient.
For any questions, comments, and suggestions, Contact Us.